GENERAL MOBILE RADIO SERVICE (GMRS) FILING INSTRUCTIONS
An FCC license is required to operate GMRS system. Licenses are issued for a ten-year term and can be renewed between 90 days prior to the expiration date and up to the actual expiration date of the license. After a license expires, an individual must request a new GMRS license.
A GMRS system licensed to a non-individual prior to July 31, 1987 is also eligible for renewal, but the licensee may not make any major modification to the system.
You may apply for a GMRS license if you are 18 years or older and not a representative of a foreign government. If you receive a license, any family member, regardless of age, can operate GMRS stations and units within the licensed system.
Per Public Notice DA 15-72, the FCC no longer mails license authorizations. If you provide an email address on your application, an official copy of your license will be automatically emailed to you after the application has granted.
Steps to Filing an Application for a new GMRS Station license in the Universal Licensing System (ULS):
1. Go to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp and log in with your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password. After entering your password, proceed to Step 2 below to begin filing the application.
If you do not have an FRN, you can register for one here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do or by clicking the “Register with the FCC” link under the Submit button on the Log In page.
NOTE: You will be prompted to register and verify a username account prior to obtaining your FRN.
If you do not know your FRN, you can search for it by entering your call sign here:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp or by clicking the “Check your licenses” link under the submit button on the Log In page.
If you do not know the password:
• Click on the Contact Tech Support link under the Submit button on the Log In page.
• On the next page, click the link and follow the prompts for resetting the password.
• After receiving confirmation of a successful password reset, click the link for Universal Licensing System (DO NOT click the CORES Public Interface link.)
• Click the yellow ULS License Manager button to return to the Log In page.
• Enter the FRN and password and click the Submit button.
2. On the left side of the page, click the Apply for a New License link.
3. Choose “ZA – General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)” from the radio service drop down list.
4. Click Continue to navigate through the application.
5. On the Summary page, review your application and click the Continue to Certify button to continue.
6. On the Certification page, sign your application by typing your name in the boxes provided and click the Submit button. (The Title box is optional.)
7. ULS will calculate the fees. Fees for online filing MUST be received within 10 calendar days of the filing.
8. Click the Continue For Payment Options button to choose the method of payment.
Further information can be found on General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) on the FCC website.
The GMRS license rules are found in Part 95, Subpart A of the Code of Federal Regulations. The rules are available at the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations website.
DOWNLOADING AUTHORIZATIONS IN ULS
After your application has been granted, you may also download an official copy of your license from the License Manager by following the steps below:
1. Go to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp and log in with your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password.
2. Click the “Download Electronic Authorizations” link on the navigation bar on the left side of the License Manager home page.
3. In the My Authorizations box at the bottom of the page, select the call sign(s) you wish to download.
4. Add the call signs to the Authorizations to Download box by clicking the Add button.
5. Click the Download button in the lower right-hand corner of the page.
The download will be automatically converted to a PDF file, and you can choose to Open (to print) or Save (to save to a desired folder).
If you have any further questions on a GMRS license or need additional information, please submit a help request online to the FCC Licensing Support Center or call (877) 480-3201.
FCC Licensing Support Center
8:00 AM – 6:00 PM EST, M – F